All string musicians are requested to arrange for music assessments for each Fall Session. Music assessments for Winter Session will be held for new members and previous members wishing to join a different ensemble. Music assessments are not auditions. They are a no stress opportunity for all musicians to:
enjoy playing beautiful and challenging music,
gain more confidence
improve their skill as a musician
receive music for the most applicable orchestra/ensemble and section
begin each session with the best possible experience
Typically musicians participate in two ensembles. Suggested options are:
Rising Strings only: Recommended for musicians participating in their first year or two of orchestral playing
Rising Strings and Sinfonietta Strings: As musicians increase in confidence and skills we recommend that they continue to participate in Rising strings as leaders and begin playing in Sinfonietta Strings
Sinfonietta Strings and Full Orchestra: Musicians desiring the full orchestral experience are encouraged to play in Full Orchestra and Continue playing in Sinfonietta Strings.
Chamber Ensemble and Full Orchestra: Musicians desiring more advanced ensemble experience should audition for Chamber Ensemble and continue playing with the Full Orchestra.
1. Select which groups you wish to participate in. Play through the scales and excerpts linked to the buttons below to help you decide which ensembles/orchestras will provide the optimal experience for you. These are sample excerpts that provide a level of musical skill and may not be the music played this session.
2. Prepare the excerpts from one or two groups you choose Please do not memorize or perfect them. Just play through them
a couple of times. This is similar to sight reading without the extra pressure!
3. Choose a favorite piece you are already comfortable with and enjoy playing. Prepare approximately a 1 minute portion of
your favorite part.
4. Video the scale, excerpt and your choice piece. You may wish to make individual videos for each portion or you may
combine them in one video. Make it easy for yourself. Remember to state your name and the name of the selection you
are playing in addition to the name of the ensemble you are planning to be in.
5. Music assessments will be held via Google Classroom. Click on the link below which will take you to the Magic Valley Youth
Orchestra classroom. Click on the "assignment" post and upload your video or videos. If you have problems please contact
Brenda Allen at 208-308-6667. Please submit your Music assessments before 9:00 pm on January 6, 2024. This will
give our team of coaches and conductors a chance to review the video submissions and place musicians in
the ensemble that will provide the "best fit". Musicians who have not submitted an assessment prior to
September 5th will be assisted in submitting selections at registration.
Chamber Ensemble Audition
Returning Chamber musicians need not re-audition. New musicians interested in playing with Chamber Ensemble will be asked to play the following:
One three-octave scale of your choice.
A 2-3 minute excerpt from your solo literature. (Does not need to be memorized. No accompaniments.)
Sight-read an excerpt provided at the audition.
Auditions for Chamber Ensemble will be held at the first rehearsal of each session. Musicians interested in auditioning for Chamber Ensemble should email MagicValleyYouthOrchestra@gmail.com or call/text Brenda Allen (208-308-6667) to request placement on the audition schedule.